Crock Pot 15 Bean Soup
Baby, it’s cold outside, but this crock pot 15 bean soup recipe will warm you right up!
This is some magical ham and bean soup, but I can’t take any credit whatsoever for the recipe.
I followed the directions right on the back of a bag of Hurst’s HamBeens 15 Bean Soup!
It’s a really wonderful recipe that makes the perfect hearty crock pot 15 bean soup. Throw in a couple ham hocks and you’re in bean soup heaven!
If you’re going to make this crock pot 15 bean soup I absolutely insist that you fix up a pan of my easy buttermilk cornbread to go along with it. It’s a no-fail cornbread recipe that I’ve made a hundred times.
Ham and bean soup just isn’t ham and bean soup without a buttery hunk of cornbread dunked in it. Trust me, it matters!
This is such a simple family meal and one that’s actually quite fun for the kids to eat. They love poking around in their bowl inspecting the different varieties of beans. They were convinced that they counted well over 15 types of beans in their bowl, for the record!
There was a time in my life when I wasn’t a huge fan of beans, but now I absolutely crave warm, filling soup recipes like this crock pot 15 bean soup.
I also love making soups like this because we can enjoy leftovers for a couple days which takes the pressure off of me to come up with something to cook. That’s a total win for this busy working mom on those chaotic school nights.
This is a wonderful belly-warming recipe that will remind you of those simple, filling soups from your childhood. I think you’re going to love it!
Crock Pot 15 Bean Soup
- 1 package Hurst’s HamBeens 15 Bean Soup
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 ham hocks, 1 to 1 ½ lbs.
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Chili powder
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- Sort beans and rinse thoroughly. Pour beans into a crock pot. Add the chicken broth, onion, garlic and the chili powder and stir. Place the ham hocks in the mixture. Cover and cook on high for about 4 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Remove the ham hocks and allow them to cool enough to handle. Remove the meat and put it back into the crock pot discarding the bone and the fat. Add the flavor packet that came with the beans, the diced tomatoes and the lemon juice. Stir and cook an additional 30 to 35 minutes longer.
If preferred, using the same method cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
Recipe via Hurst’s HamBeens 15 bean soup Crock Pot recipes