While it is still a little chilly here in Ohio, we’ve still been eating a lot of food from the grill!
Recently, Sam’s Club invited me to join their “Will it Grill?” challenge! I decided that some delicious fruit would be fantastic on the grill.
I found this recipe for Mixed Berry Hobo Packs with Grilled Pound Cake on FoodandWine.com recently, and I’ve been dying to try it. I mean, berries and pound cake — grilled? With a couple big scoops of vanilla ice cream? Yes. Oh, yes.
I was able to pick up all of my fresh fruit, and other grilling goodies at my local Sam’s Club. I buy fruit at Sam’s Club a lot, it always seems super fresh.
It looks like the pound cake is a little over-grilled in this photo, but we found that it actually tasted better when it was really toasty. The extra crisp in the bowl made the dessert delicious.
I also had a fresh pineapple on hand, and decided to coat it with a little honey and lemon juice and grill that too. My son loved the grilled pineapple, and we plan to try this again at our next cookout.
The grilled berries, of course, were enclosed within a foil packet. They only need to be on the grill for a few minutes, you’ll know they are done when they start to sizzle!
Have you ever grilled anything unusual? I’d love to hear about some of the fantastic (and unique) things you grill, and while you’re here, you can enter to win this great charcoal grill! Good luck, and happy grilling!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Sam’s Club.
Mixed berry hobo packs with grilled pound cake
- 1/2 pound strawberries, halved or quartered if large
- 1/2 pound blueberries
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Four 12-inch squares of heavy-duty aluminum foil
- Four 1/2-inch-thick slices of pound cake
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Light a grill. In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries and blueberries with the lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and cornstarch. Spoon 1/4 tablespoon of the butter in the center of each sheet of foil and top with the fruit. Bring 2 sides of the foil up over the fruit and fold to form a seam across the top.
- Fold the remaining 2 sides to seal the hobo packs completely.
- Grill the packs over moderate heat until the fruit is sizzling, about 10 minutes.
- Spread the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter on the pound cake and grill on both sides just until toasted, about 1 minute. Transfer to plates. Open the hobo packs and pour the berries and juices over the pound cake. Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche or ice cream.
Recipe credit Food & Wine.
Never miss a post
Subscribe for daily posts + love notes:
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Leave a Comment
Have something to add? Leave a Comment »