How delicious does this Mexican lasagna look? Seriously, my entire family enjoyed it. Keep reading to find out more, and to grab my recipe for Mexican lasagna.
I am by no means an expert in the kitchen. In fact, this is one shortcoming that really plagues me as a mom.
Recently, I’ve been making an effort to put more wholesome, home-cooked meals on my family’s table. In fact, you may have noticed a new category on my blog called food stories. I’ve made it a personal goal to cook more, and to experiment in the kitchen, and to keep myself accountable I am going to be blogging about this journey.
There are so many times when I am at a loss for dinner ideas, so I’m almost always thumbing through the scrumptious photos of food on Pinterest. Today while I sat in the waiting room at my doctor’s office, I used the Pinspiration app on my new Nokia Lumia 900 Windows Phone to search for tonight’s meal inspiration.
Mexican Lasagna Recipe
I chose a yummy-looking mexican lasagna recipe pinned from A Couple Cooks as my starting point, and opened up the Shared Shopping List app to jot down the ingredients that I would need to pick up from the grocery store.
I love the Shared Shopping List app because if I can’t make it to the store, I can share my grocery list with my husband’s Windows Phone, and he can pick up items for me on his way home from work! I make lists for him perhaps far more often than he would like. :)
I adapted the Mexican lasagna recipe to meet my family’s preferences. Having a toddler, the first thing I cut out was the hot sauce.
The original Mexican lasagna recipe also did not call for ground beef, but we are pretty big meat eaters in this house, so I decided to incorporate it into the dish. Ground turkey would also be a delicious choice.’
From Pinterest to plate, I love being able to scout recipes and make grocery lists with my Windows Phone. It also made me feel so good inside seeing my family devour this dish — it was really good! I feel like tonight I had a parenting win, and I am not even more motivated to continue making family meals and family meal time a priority in my life.
I hope you enjoy this great Mexican lasagna recipe, my family certainly did!
- 9 ounces “no boil” lasagna noodles
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn
- 2/3 cup water
- 8 ounces Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 green onions chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasonings
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400˚ F. Set aside a 9 x 9″ square baking dish.
- Brown ground beef and drain. Add 2/3 cups water and taco seasoning packet, cook another 3-4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, black beans, corn, cilantro and green onions. Spread a thin layer of the crushed tomatoes over the bottom of the baking dish. Layer with lasagna noodles and break them as needed to fit the dish. Next, spread about one third of the beef and bean mixture. Layer again with tomatoes, then add a layer of cheese.
- Repeat this layering process two times more times following, following a noodles, beef/beans, tomatoes then cheese pattern. Your top layer will be noodles, tomatoes, and cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 35 minutes, or until noodles are tender. Remove the foil and bake an additional 5 minutes to melt cheese.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving. Garnish with cilantro.
Adapted from A Couple Cooks
Tasks. Joys. Simply Faster.