Whether you’re subscribed to a clean eating lifestyle or just enjoy light, healthy cuisine, you’re sure to fall in love with these crisp and flavorful clean eating lettuce wraps with chicken and avocado!
If you’ve been following along with my blog or Instagram you know that I’ve been eating clean since May of 2015. In that time I’ve lost nearly 40 lbs. and I feel AMAZING! No more chronic heartburn, no more headaches, no more indigestion! I’ve been asked many times for my clean eating recipes, so I thought it was time to start sharing my favorites here on the blog.
This dead simple clean eating lettuce wraps recipe is one of my favorites. I sometimes make my chicken ahead and have this for lunch, but it’s also a great dinner!
RELATED: Clean Eating Turkey Chili Recipe
Clean Eating Lettuce Wraps: Why I love this trend!
One of the things I really miss since I started eating clean are tortillas. Now, there are tortilla products that are considered clean that many people eat, but for me, I try to avoid gluten where possible. It just makes me feel better. I have to say that clean eating lettuce wrap recipes really fill that void for me!
I am able to eat my favorite, flavorful foods wrapped in a crispy green lettuce leave. It’s so light and so much better for you! It’s also really versatile. I have made lettuce wraps so many ways, with a wide variety of fillings. This clean eating lettuce wraps with chicken and avocado is a super simple example that makes clean eating accessible to everyone.
Be sure to look for a natural salsa when you’re shopping for ingredients to make this clean eating recipe. Check the ingredients list—you want to find a salsa with only natural ingredients and no added sugar. Don’t worry, it still tastes amazing! The brand I am able to find in my small town is Green Mountain Gringo.
You can easily mix up this clean eating lettuce wraps recipe to fit a vegan lifestyle by substituting the chicken with quinoa or black beans. Of course, you can also add cheese off the block if you would like. I try to limit my dairy and honestly with the creaminess of the avocado, this recipe doesn’t really suffer without the cheese.
I hope you love this super simple and delicious clean eating recipe! Be sure to follow me on Instagram for more clean eating recipe ideas and check out my video where I tell you exactly how I lost 30 lbs. in 10 weeks eating real food.
Clean Eating Lettuce Wraps with Chicken and Avocado
- 1 lb. Chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 large head butter, bibb or Boston lettuce, washed, dried and leaves separated
- 2 large avocadoes
- 1/2 cup natural salsa (no added sugar, I use Green Mountain Gringo.)
- 1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Wash, dry and separate the leaves of 1 large head of Boston, Bibb or butter lettuce. I used Boston lettuce but any large leaf lettuce that you enjoy will work. Set aside.
- Pat chicken tenders dry. Season chicken breast tenderloins with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add coconut oil to very hot skillet and then add chicken. Immediately reduce heat to medium and sauté for 8-10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in the middle. Be sure to turn chicken and check often to prevent burning. When cooked, remove from skillet and chop chicken into 1″ pieces.
- In a small bowl, mash the flesh of two avocados with a fork until just creamy. Spread avocado into each piece of lettuce. This will make about 8 wraps. Equally distribute chicken onto the lettuce wraps and top with natural salsa to taste.
The yield here really depends on the size of your lettuce leaves. This should make about 8 large wraps or more smaller wraps.
NOTE: You could also use chopped rotisserie chicken meat and cut out much of the leg work! :)