25 Amazing Epsom Salt Uses
We’ve created the ultimate list of Epsom Salt uses for health, wellness, and home. You’re going to be amazed by the many applications and uses for Epsom salt in your daily life!
My grandma was a huge fan of Epsom salt—she used it for everything! People of her generation knew the many health benefits of Epsom salt and I’ve recently discovered that Epsom salt uses go far beyond relaxing baths!
Keep reading for 25 incredible Epsom salt uses—you may be surprised by more than a few of these clever tricks!
25 Epsom salt uses!
1. Epsom salt uses in the garden — Studies show that the magnesium and sulfur that comprise Epsom salt may help your plants grow greener, produce higher yields and have more blooms! Using Epsom salt for plants is one of my favorite uses of this powerful ingredient.
2. Soaking feet in Epsom salt — Combine 1/2 cup Epsom salt and warm soapy water, then soak your feet for 5 minutes to soften skin. Remove nail polish, push back cuticles, then cut and file your nails. Soak an additional 5 minutes in a warm Epsom salt bath for super soft feet.
3. Epsom salt for hair — Combine equal parts conditioner and Epsom salt. Work the mixture through your hair and leave for 20 minutes. The result? Hair full of va-va-voom and volume!
4. Epsom salt for hemorrhoids — Warm Epsom salt baths can help soothe the irritation from hemorrhoids. You can use a sitz bath, which is a small plastic tub that fits over a toilet seat. Take a warm bath for 20 minutes after every bowel movement for maximum results.
5. Relax — Create the perfect detox bath salts! Add two cups of Epsom salt to your very-warm bath water and soak for 15 minutes. You can purchase Epsom salt with lavender or eucalyptus for an extra-soothing bath experience. Be careful when standing up, you’ll find that you are VERY relaxed after your Epsom salt bath.
6. Sea salt texturizing hair spray — Combine 1 cup of hot water, 2 tablespoons Epsom salt, 1 teaspoon aloe vera gel and 1/2 tsp conditioner in a spray bottle. Spray salt mixture into hair and scrunch hair with your hand for pretty beachy-waves.
7. Fabric softener crystals — Mix 4 cups of Epsom salt and 20 drops of essential oil to make DIY fabric softener crystals. Use 1/4 cup per load and add at beginning of wash. What a clever way to use Epsom salt, and also a way to save money!
8. Splinter removal — Soak your finger in an Epsom salt bath for easy splinter extraction. This is one of the best Epsom Salt uses for parents to keep on file.
9. Epsom salt body scrub — After showering, massage handfuls of Epsom salt over wet skin to exfoliate the body. Get a spa treatment at home! Get more facial scrub recipes here.
10. Exfoliation — For exfoliation, mix 2 cups of Epsom salt with 1/4 cup of petroleum jelly and a few drops of lavender essential oil. Gently massage into dry patches for smoother skin.
11. Epsom salt for mosquito bites — Epsom salt can ease the symptoms of mosquito bites. Make a compress by soaking a washcloth in cold water that has been mixed with Epsom salt (2 tablespoons per cup of water), then gently apply to the bite area. This is yet another one of my favorite Epsom salt uses.
12. Sore muscles and arthritis — If your muscles or joints ache, an Epsom salt bath is a great way to find relief. Add 2 cups of Epsom salt to your very-warm bath water, agitate the water with your hands to dissolve it then soak for 15 minutes.
13. Tile cleaner — Mix equal parts of dish soap and Epsom salt for a super easy and effective tile cleaner. Rinse with clear water. This is one of the most frugal Epsom salt uses, a great way to save on cleaning supplies and to use a natural alternative to harsh chemical cleaners!
14. Bedtime bath for kids — Add one cup of Epsom salt to your kids’ evening bath to help them sleep more peacefully.
15. Headache relief — Evidence shows that that soaking in an Epsom salt bath can relieve headache symptoms.
16. Acne — Epsom salt has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties making it a fantastic natural treatment for acne.
17. Remove odor from hands and feet — Add 3 Tablespoons of Epsom salt to 1 quart of warm water and soak your hands or feet for 15 minutes. This will make your skin soft, your nails shine, and also help remove foul odors.
18. Relieve constipation — Pour 8 oz. of drinking water into a glass, mix with 1 to 2 tsp. of Epsom salt and drink the mixture for immediate relief of constipation. Mixing directions are also found on most Epsom salt packages, consult your physician before trying this.
19. Epsom salt for sunburn — Dissolve two tablespoons of Epsom salt in 1 cups of water and spray on minor sunburns.
20. Draw out infection — For simple infections on hands or feet, soak in a hot Epsom salt bath for 10 minutes to help clear the area. Note, some staph infections are worsened by soaking in hot water, consult your physician.
21. The cure for common cold — Did you know that Epsom salt baths can speed healing by detoxifying your body and increasing your white blood cell count? Try an Epsom salt bath the next time you feel those first symptoms of a cold.
22. Epsom salt to reduce swelling — Epsom salt baths can help the appearance of bruises and reduce swelling.
23. Deter slugs — Sprinkle a trail of Epsom salt around the area you want to be free of slugs.
24. Blackhead removal — Mix a teaspoon of Epsom salt, 3 drops iodine and half a cup of boiling water. Dab this solution to your blackheads with a cotton ball to help naturally extract them.
25. Insecticide — Mix Epson salt with water, add to a spray bottle and spray on plants to naturally deter insects.
Wow, that’s quite a list! For even more information on the benefits of wonderful Epsom salt, visit the Epsom Salt Council’s website.
RELATED: Check out our amazing turmeric golden paste recipe!
Epsom Salt Bath Product
I really recommend this bag of Epsom salt that you can pick up on Amazon. I always buy Dr. Teal’s Epsom salt.
What is your favorite Epsom salt use?