Everyone has a different definition of perfect when it comes to brownies. For my family, Grandma’s chewy caramel brownies take the ultimate prize. My mom started making these brownies a few years ago, and they have become a family favorite dessert recipe.
Grandma’s Chewy Caramel Brownies
While I love a soft, cakey brownie from time to time, I also really enjoy these chewy and dense chocolate caramel brownies.
I mean, what tastes better than chocolate with melty caramel?
Speaking of brownies, these lunch lady brownies will really take you back.
The caramel candies incorporated in the brownies give them such a wonderful flavor. These chewy caramel brownies definitely come out of the oven a bit gooey, so I recommend letting them cool and then popping them into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to let the caramel set before eating.
Honestly, they taste best the next day!
These brownies are so thick and chewy. The texture is really so incredible, and yes, they are super sweet and delicious. I love the flavor of these Kraft caramels; they make these brownies really special. You won’t need to have more than one to completely satisfy your chocolate and caramel cravings.
Oh, you may WANT more than one, but you’ll be in brownie bliss after just the one—trust me.
Are you an edge-fan when it comes to brownies? Check out this cool edge brownie pan.
With so many brownie recipes out there, it can be hard to know which one to try next. If you love rich, chewy brownies that are loaded with gooey chocolate and caramel, then this is the recipe is for you. Be sure to grab the recipe below, and pin it so you don’t forget to make it later.
Three cheers for chocolate, caramel and Grandma!
Grandma's Chewy Caramel Brownies
The best brownie recipe ever. Just ask my kids!
- 1 11oz. bag caramels approx. 40 unwrapped
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk, divided in half
- 1 16.5 oz German chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cups butter, melted
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in microwave. Heat at 20 to 30 second intervals stirring occasionally until caramels are completely melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the cake mix, the remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk and butter until well blended. I used a wooden spoon.
- Press half of the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the crust then pour caramel evenly over chips ( reheat caramel if necessary.) Distribute the remaining 1/2 of the cake mixture over the caramel mixture. It will look uneven, that's okay!
- Return to the 350 degree oven and bake for 15 to 18 more minutes. Cool and cut into bars. As noted above, you may want to pop cooled brownies into the refrigerator for 30 minutes to help the caramel set up.
3 Comments on “Grandma’s Chewy Caramel Brownies”
Could you use brownie mix instead of cake mix?
These brownies look simply sinful! Thanks so much for sharing your recipe I can’t wait to try it. I even pinned it to one of my boards!
These look awesome–and so simple with just a few ingredients! I’ve been substituting a little flaxseed meal for AP flour in some recipes. It lends an interesting texture. er. And a lot of fiber. That counts as healthy, right? :) Take care.