Leave it to grandma to throw a few tasty ingredients into a bowl, mix it up with a little love and call it a dessert worthy of taking to a potluck. That’s just exactly what my grandma did with this yummy pistachio fluff salad when I was a kid and I’ve been loving the recipe ever since.
I’ve seen this recipe called pistachio delight, watergate salad, green goop, green fluff, green stuff, shut the gate salad, and pistachio mallow salad. Phew, this green dessert has a lot of monikers! No matter what you call it, this easy dessert recipe is always a winner with my family.
This recipe sort of reminds me of another family favorite recipe, this tasty ambrosia salad.
Pistachio Fluff Salad Recipe
Here’s the funny thing about this pistachio fluff salad. I actually don’t normally care for marshmallows unless they’ve been toasted and smushed between two graham crackers with a chunk of chocolate!
I’m definitely not one to snack on mini marshmallows, but, I LOVE to eat them incorporated into this scrumptious pistachio fluff salad. Go figure. It just works for me!
I’m a big fan of pecans, so I adore the crunch and flavor that the chopped pecans add to this pistachio dessert, but if you don’t like pecans you can certainly leave them out. I know from past comments on my recipes that quite a few of you are not partial to nuts in your recipes! :)
If you ask me, it’s not officially summertime until I’ve whipped up at least one batch of this amazing pistachio fluff salad dessert. I’m planning to make a big bowl for our 4th of July celebration next month and I’d highly recommend that you do the same!
If you’ve made this dessert before, I’d love to know what YOUR family calls it. Leave a comment below and let me know, and be sure to watch our fun tutorial video! :)
More Classic Summertime Recipes
- 1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple, drained (I used sweetened in its own juice).
- 1 3.4oz. box pistachio instant pudding
- 1 ¼ cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 8oz. container whipped topping, thawed
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- maraschino cherries for topping, optional
- In a large bowl stir together the pineapple and the pudding. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until well blended. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Optional, top with more chopped pecans and maraschino cherries.