There are many ways to whiten teeth naturally, in the comfort of your own home. While dentist-chair options or even over-the-counter teeth whiteners may provide a faster result, these teeth whitening tips and home remedies will also help you achieve a whiter smile!
5 Ways to whiten teeth naturally
1. Natural whitening formula — I have family members who swear by this teeth-whitening home remedy that calls for wetting your toothbrush and then dipping it in baking soda (about ½ tsp) before gently brushing the mixture on your teeth. The baking soda naturally polishes and whitens your teeth. To avoid damaging your enamel, don’t use this method more than once a week; this is one of my favorite ways to whiten teeth naturally!
2. Peroxide rinse — Want achieve professional teeth-whitening results at home? Swish a capful of 3% hydrogen peroxide (you can buy this 3% food grade peroxide online) in your mouth once a week. This solution is safe for oral use, but, should not be swallowed. Swish the peroxide in your mouth for about one minute. Your mouth will be full of foam, that means the peroxide is working to naturally whiten your teeth!
RELATED: 10 Homemade lip balm recipes
3. Oil pulling — This is a new trend that boasts many health benefits, including whitening teeth naturally. Just put 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil into the mouth and swish it all around for 20 minutes. After this time period, spit oil into the trash. Rinse your mouth with warm water and then gently brush your teeth. Brushing using the baking soda home remedy above would be great!
4. Water mouthwash — Another great way to whiten teeth naturally, especially when you don’t have a toothbrush handy, is by simply swishing water around in your mouth following meals. It’s a great way to cleanse the teeth which will help prevent staining. This is just one more way water is beneficial for your body.
5. Whitening foods — Did you know that eating certain foods can help gently scrub your teeth and whiten teeth naturally while you chew? Foods to target are firm fruits and vegetables including apples, cauliflower, carrots and celery. These foods also produce additional saliva which works to combat excess bacteria in your mouth. What a delicious idea!
Have you used any of these methods to whiten teeth naturally? I’d love to hear your results!
Image © iStockPhoto/Stockphoto4u