Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
Of course, even the best family recipes can benefit from a new twist. I now add an ingredient that brings the flavor to a whole new level—Kikkoman Soy Sauce!
Kikkoman Traditionally Brewed Soy Sauce is such a fantastic ingredient to use in Asian-inspired dishes at home.
The rich, distinctive flavor adds so much depth to my bacon wrapped water chestnuts. Soy sauce really transforms this recipe into something special, so do not leave it out.
RELATED: Looking for a great game day appetizer? Try my delicious sausage stuffed mini sweet peppers!
Marinating the chestnuts in soy sauce is a key step in this process. It gives the water chestnuts a special burst of flavor that really shines when you crunch into each bite.
Kikkoman Soy Sauce is traditionally brewed from water, wheat, soybeans and salt. Like a fine wine, Kikkoman Soy Sauce is aged for several months to develop its characteristic rich, yet mellow flavor, appetizing aroma and distinctive reddish-brown color.
Let’s just say that there is a reason that Kikkoman is the number one Asian brand. Our family enjoys quite a bit of soy sauce at home, both in recipes and as a condiment, and Kikkoman’s flavor really makes it rise above some of the other brands we’ve used in the past.
Kikkoman’s Traditionally Brewed Soy Sauce is a major flavor enhancer and brings out the “umami” taste that everyone has been talking about.
After you marinate your water chestnuts, don’t throw out that soy sauce! You’ll be utilizing the marinade to create a truly delicious finishing sauce for the dish.
Quick tip—if you’re wanting to cut down on the sodium, try Kikkoman Less Sodium Soy Sauce—it also tastes great.
There are a few steps involved in making these scrumptious bacon wrapped water chestnuts, but the process is actually quite easy and requires very few ingredients. I made a little video showing you how it’s done, from start to finish.
When it comes to my perfect bacon wrapped water chestnuts, it’s really just a matter of trying to save them from hungry family members before it’s time to present the dish.
After you pop one of these sweet, tangy and crunchy little bites into your mouth, it’s difficult to stop reaching for more.
People will quite literally hover and linger around the dish holding these bad boys, and who can blame them? They are my absolute favorite holiday appetizer—ever—period.
To be honest, there are only a few holiday recipes that have become intertwined with my family’s traditions year after year. This is absolutely one of those recipes.
In fact, I can’t remember celebrating a Christmas without a big warm dish of bacon wrapped water chestnuts out on the table. It’s a recipe that I genuinely adore, and I hope you’ll make it a part of your unique holiday celebrations this year as well.
Be sure to pin this recipe so you can easily find it later!
Connect with Kikkoman
What’s your favorite holiday dish? Tell me in the comments for a chance to win a $100 Visa Gift Card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 11/28/16 – 12/31/16
Be sure to visit the Kikkoman Brand Page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
- 2 (8 oz.) cans water chestnuts, drained
- 1 lb lean bacon, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Kikkoman Traditionally Brewed Soy Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Soak water chestnuts in Kikkoman soy sauce for 15 minutes, stirring a few times to make sure they are fully coated.
- Remove water chestnuts from soy sauce.
- Wrap 1/2 strip of bacon around each; secure with toothpicks.
- Reserve soy sauce.
- Place chestnuts toothpick side up in a 7” x 11” glass baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 35 minutes or until desired crispness.
- Remove chestnuts from dish and drain grease. Replace chestnuts in the same dish.
- Meanwhile, add ketchup and brown sugar to reserved soy sauce, stir well to combine.
- Pour sauce evenly over the chestnuts to coat.
- Bake chestnuts an additional 20 to 30 minutes.
Initial bake time really depends on how you enjoy your bacon. Keep an eye on it and bake a little longer if you want it crispier!