Rustic Lentil Stew
I’d like to thank Hurst’s Brand for sponsoring our delicious rustic lentil stew post! :)
Crisp mornings, crunchy leaves and brilliant blue skies signal the arrival of fall here in southern Ohio.
Y’all, I ADORE pulling my boots and sweaters out of storage each autumn, and I also love reprising my favorite fall dishes, like this hearty rustic lentil stew made with Hurst’s Garlic & Herb Lentils.
Rustic Lentil Stew Recipe
Honestly, I really only discovered the joy of cooking with lentils a few years ago. Lentils have become quite trendy lately, but did you know that lentils really are incredibly good for you? Lentils are a fantastic source of protein, they promote heart health, and they can even help stabilize your blood sugar.
I’m going to get a bit personal here, but, I actually try to eat lentils or beans every single day. Even if it’s sprinkling a few into a salad or wrap—that’s how much I believe in the power of legumes.
“Beans, beans for every meal,” and all that. ?
Whether you’re you’re a long time fan of lentils or you’re looking to experiment with this ingredient for the first time, my rustic lentil stew is a wonderful family recipe that’s just packed with flavor.
I’ve told you guys time and time again that I really value recipes that are quick and easy for me to whip up for my family.
As a busy working mother, I just don’t have time for anything complicated. You’re going to love this rustic lentil stew because so much of the flavor comes right in your bag of lentils. The seasoning packet included in these yummy Hurst’s Brand Garlic & Herb Lentils is really the star of this stew!
The tasty kielbasa also brings some great flavor, making this a super satisfying stew for the chilly fall and winter months.
You can even get creative with this stew by using any vegetables you prefer. Adding a cup of chopped kale toward the end of the cook time is a great way to give this rustic lentil stew an extra punch of leafy-green-goodness.
When you’re shopping for ingredients to make this yummy rustic lentil stew, be sure to look for Hurst’s Brand Garlic & Herb Lentils as shown in the photo above. That flavor packet is a vital component to this recipe! You can usually find Hurst’s products in the dry bean section of your local grocery.
I’ve been a fan of Hurst’s products for many years. In fact, I basically keep a stockpile of their HamBeens 15 Bean Soup! Don’t miss my Crock Pot 15 bean soup recipe post.
This rustic lentil stew ends up being a pretty large portion that should easily provide 8-10 servings. While I haven’t frozen this recipe before, I believe that it would freeze well.
I hope you enjoy this tasty recipe. Be sure to pin it to your favorite boards on Pinterest for easy access later!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large russet potato, diced into 1" pieces
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 ounces kielbasa, sliced
- 1 pkg. Hurst's Brand Garlic & Herb Flavored Lentils
- 8-10 cups of water
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the celery, carrots and onion. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, until soft.
- Add the kielbasa, Hurst's Lentils (including the Garlic & Herb seasoning packet included in the bag), potato, and water. Note, for a thick stew, use 8 cups of water, or, up to 10 cups of water if you prefer a thinner soup. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer the stew, stirring it occasionally, for about 35 minutes or until the lentils and potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, serve and enjoy this delicious, hearty lentil stew!