Layers of gooey coconut and rich German chocolate cake make up this scrumptious earthquake cake recipe. It’s one of my favorite simple desserts!
I’ve always said that if a recipe comes from one of my grandma’s old church cookbooks, it’s probably a winner. This easy earthquake cake recipe is a perfect example of my unflawed philosophy.
I mean, just look at those delicious layers and that gooey coconut bottom layer? I’m officially a pretty big fan of earthquake cake, apparently, because I simply can’t get enough of this decadent dessert.
Earthquake Cake Recipe
My mom was actually the inspiration for trying this earthquake cake for the first time. She’s a huge fan of German chocolate cake, so this recipe is right up her alley.
I cant actually say that German chocolate is my favorite dessert flavor but it totally works in this earthquake cake recipe!
It’s always so good to have a few no-brainer dessert recipes on hand. You know, those recipes that are impossible to mess up?
Don’t let this blog fool you. I am certainly no professional in the kitchen when it comes to cooking and baking.
In fact, I’m sort of prone to kitchen fails! While I’m sharing true confessions, I might as well tell you that I probably burn myself in the kitchen three times a week, every week.
I’m sort of a klutz, y’all, and that’s totally why I always go for the easy dessert recipes. My mantra is that you can’t always judge a dessert by the way it looks. Sometimes those desserts that just look like a big chocolate mess are THE BEST.
Isn’t this earthquake cake pretty in a really messy, imperfect way?
It comes out looking a little different every single time I make it, and I love that. Don’t you? Let me know what you think in the comments below.
If you’re a chocoholic like me, you’ll want to try these recipes next!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie
- Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
- Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles
Don’t miss our tutorial video to see how to make earthquake cake from start to delicious finish!
This delicious and simple layered cake is perfect for the coconut or chocolate lover in your life!
- 1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 box German chocolate cake (plus ingredients to make cake according to box)
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Grease a 9×13 inch pan. Spread pecans and coconut on the bottom of your pan.
- Prepare cake mix batter according to directions on box. Pour over the coconut and pecans.
- Melt the cream cheese and margarine in a small saucepan, over low heat, stirring continuously. Stir in powdered sugar. Pour over the cake batter. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, until the center of the cake is set. Serve warm with ice cream or cool completely.