Instead of being called pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting, this recipe was originally slated to be called a pumpkin sheet cake.
I suppose it’s still technically a sheet cake. It was baked in a sheet pan, after all. It just turned out a little fluffier and taller than your classic sheet cake, but since it’s so YUMMY, I decided to leave the recipe just the way it is and share it with y’all anyway.
Call it a pumpkin spice cake, call it a chubby sheet cake, call it whatever you want. Just don’t you dare miss this incredible pumpkin spice cake recipe!
Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe
This pumpkin cake is loaded with pumpkin spice flavor, which pairs really nicely with the its sweet cream cheese frosting.
I also love this recipe because it results in such a supremely moist and tender cake. The texture is heavenly!
I tend to make a lot of desserts with cream cheese frosting because it’s such a favorite with my family.
In fact, whenever my dad is given a dessert to try that doesn’t have cream cheese frosting, we can anticipate him saying, “This would also be good with cream cheese frosting.”
Thanks, Dad. Your love for the cream cheese frosting has been duly noted! :) I always keep Dad and his epic sweet tooth in mind when I’m baking, and I’m sure to take him a piece or two to enjoy.
Are there any members of your family who adore cream cheese frosting as much as my dad?
I always encounter a few pumpkin-naysayers (booooo!) this time of year who scoff at the abundance of pumpkin-spice-flavored everything.
I have to confess that I wave my pumpkin spice flag proudly during the fall. I just can’t get enough pumpkin desserts. Am I alone? What’s your favorite pumpkin dessert recipe?
Don’t Miss These Popular Pumpkin Desserts
- Melt-In-Your-Mouth Pumpkin Cookies
- Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- Easy Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
For the cake
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the frosting
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 to 5 cups powdered sugar
InstructionsFor the cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 15 x 10 x 1 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and the salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the pumpkin, sugar, and the oil. Add the eggs and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and beat until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, and the vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar to desired consistency.
- Spread on cooled cake.