Our hearty and flavorful pressure cooker split pea soup with ham is loaded with flavor and comes together in just minutes!
This pressure cooker split pea soup with ham recipe is sponsored by the Crock-Pot® brand.
Pressure Cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham Recipe
I made this tasty recipe in my Crock-Pot Express Crock Multi-Cooker. As you all know, it’s my new favorite kitchen appliance.
The Express Crock combines the functions of a pressure cooker, slow cooker, steamer, sauté/browning, and 8 built-in preset buttons that cook a variety of meals.
In other words, this thing does it all. It is an absolute staple in my kitchen and has earned a permanent place on the counter.
When it comes to split pea soup, I’m a new convert.
This warm and comforting soup has become one of my new favorites!
What Are Split Peas
This is a question that I was asking myself before I tried them for the first time a few months ago.
Split peas are field peas, and they are grown specifically for drying. The peas are hulled and then split on their natural seam, which helps them cook faster. You don’t need to soak split peas to achieve a quick and creamy texture.
I also love split peas because you can store them in an airtight container for up to a year in your pantry.
Split peas are a wonderfully nutritious food. They are high in protein and fiber and low in fat.
Just look at that lovely green color! The onion, carrots, celery, and ham add so much flavor to my pressure cooker split pea soup.
If you’re wondering how split peas taste, I would compare the flavor to that of lentils more than say canned peas.
It’s a mild and creamy flavor that tastes amazing with ham.
How to Make Split Pea Soup in a Pressure Cooker
My favorite way to prepare split pea soup is in my Express Crock.
It takes just minutes to sauté the veggies and ham and then get your soup underway.
This is a fabulous meal for busy weeknights!
Easy Pressure Cooker Split Pea Soup
That’s what it really comes down to, friends. Finding easy meal ideas that come together easily for busy families like mine.
It’s why I love this pressure cooker split pea soup with ham recipe and it’s why I can’t recommend the Express Crock enough!
Our Best Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Pressure Cooker Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Orzo Soup
- Pressure Cooker Pulled BBQ Chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 to 3 cups diced ham
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 lb. dried split peas, sorted, rinsed and drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Select the sauté function on the Express Crock and press start. When hot add the butter, onion, pepper and the garlic. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are softened, stirring often to prevent burning. Select the stop function.
- Add the bay leaf, ham, carrots, celery and the split peas, stir. Cover with the chicken broth and stir again until well blended.
- Put on the lid and turn it to the locked position, set the steam valve to seal. Select the soup function (high pressure) and adjust the time to 15 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes. Carefully, release any remaining pressure with the steam release valve. Remove the lid, stir and remove the bay leaf. Serve hot and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328 Total Fat: 8.6g Saturated Fat: 3.6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4.1g Cholesterol: 38.9mg Sodium: 817.5mg Carbohydrates: 38.9g Fiber: 13g Sugar: 8.7g Protein: 23.8g