Sweet Potato Chili Casserole
Chili is a staple in my home, and I’m always looking for unique takes on this family-fave. This scrumptious sweet potato chili casserole delivers so much flavor, and just the perfect amount of sweetness.
In fact, it’s quickly becoming one of my favorite chili recipes this winter!
Sweet Potato Chili Casserole Recipe
I’ve always loved the idea of incorporating sweet potatoes into my chili, but until recently, it’s not something that I’ve ever tried until recently. I’m so very glad that I did.
RELATED: Don’t miss my famous old fashioned goulash recipe!
I have to say that I really adore the flavor that sweet potatoes adds to this sweet potato chili casserole. I’ve always been a fan of chili a bit on the sweeter side, and this dish gives me that sweetness in a nutritious and natural way.
Gotta love sweet potatoes!
If you wanted to make this sweet potato chili casserole a bit lighter, you could easily use ground turkey in the place of ground beef.
I’m a huge fan of cooking with ground turkey. Just check out my hugely popular ground turkey stuffed peppers to see what I mean!
What makes this sweet potato chili casserole extra-special? Well, it’s that word… CASSEROLE!
I love whipping this dish up in a cast iron skillet and covering it with delicious cheese. It is so delicious, y’all… I wish I could give you a bite. I guess you’ll just have to make some for yourself and then let me know in the comments how you liked it. 💗
I hope you enjoy this mouthwatering sweet potato chili casserole recipe. After you pin the recipe, be sure to hop over to Instagram and follow me. I’d love it if we could be pals there, too!
More Homemade Comfort Dishes
- Old Fashioned Goulash
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole
- Loaded Cauliflower Casserole
- Ground Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
Sweet Potato Chili Casserole
This unique sweet potato chili casserole is full of flavor and a great way to change up your dinner routine!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 15oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (peeled, diced into 1” pieces)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack and cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add the ground beef in an even layer and cook until browned. Drain excess grease, leaving about a tablespoon. Add the onions, garlic, bell pepper, sweet potato and spices. Cook stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 3-5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, black beans and beef broth and bring to a simmer.
- Place cast iron skillet on the center rack of the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are nice and tender. Add shredded cheese and broil until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 2-3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste; serve immediately and enjoy!
Adapted from The Chew.All images and text © . If you would like to share this recipe on a website or social profile, please be sure to properly attribute by linking back to this page. If you share the recipe on your blog, please rewrite it in your own words, and again, include a link back. Thanks so much! :)