Our yummy Mexican tater tot casserole is an easy and hearty meal that your whole family will love!
This delicious taco-inspired tater tot casserole recipe is chock-full of black beans, corn, ground beef and a whole lot of flavor. Oh, did I mention it’s also loaded with cheese? Yep. We definitely have the cheese component covered!
Mexican Tater Tot Casserole Recipe
There’s just something about adding tater tots to a dish that makes it especially fun for the kids. I can remember the first time I told the kids that I’d be making tater tot casserole for dinner. Their eyes lit up with joy.
My little ones love eating those golden tater tots covered in gooey cheese, and I love knowing that they’re getting a warm, filling meal. Casserole recipes are always a good choice when it comes to feeding my crew.
Even better than that my Mexican tater tot casserole recipe is super quick to make. It’s really perfect for those over-scheduled weeknights or weekends when you don’t want to spend a whole lot of extra time in the kitchen.
It seems like easy casserole recipes like this one have sort of slipped out of fashion, but I’m still a fan of meals that you can throw together quickly and satisfy the whole family.
RELATED: Speaking of all things CHEESY, don’t miss my amazing cheesy crock pot potato soup!
Let’s face it, any meal that you make at home beats fast food and you can even get the kids involved in the kitchen to help you put this taco-flavored tater tot casserole together.
In fact, my daughter was on tater-tot duty the last time we made this casserole. I let her add the tater tots to the top of the casserole and she also helped me sprinkle the cheese over the dish toward the end.
The one thing that makes a plate of my Mexican tater tot casserole even better is a big dollop of sour cream on top and some fresh cilantro.
Oh my goodness, SO GOOD!
Are you a fan of easy family dinner recipes made with ground beef? If so, don’t miss my famous old fashioned goulash! :)
Grab the recipe below and enjoy!
More Mexican Inspired Recipes
- 1 lb. 85/15 ground beef
- 1 onion, diced ( about ¼ cup)
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix (1 oz.)
- 1 can green chiles (4 oz.)
- 1 can black beans ( 15.5 oz.) rinsed and drained
- 1 bag frozen corn (14.4 oz.)
- 1 can red enchilada sauce (10 oz.)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar & Monterey jack cheese (off the block), divided
- 4 cups frozen tater tots
- Cilantro, optional garnish
- Sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish (I used this one) with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the ground beef and the onion to a 12-inch skillet, brown meat until thoroughly cooked. Drain off excess fat and return to skillet. Add the seasoning packet, green chiles, black beans, frozen corn and the enchilada sauce to the meat and onion, stir until combined. Over medium heat cook another 8 to 10 minutes. Add 2 cups of shredded cheese to the meat mixture and stir until blended. Pour into the baking dish and spread evenly. Place the tater tots evenly over top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add the remaining cup of cheese over the top. Bake another 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with cilantro and top with sour cream!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 407Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 932mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g