I have to give credit to my mom for this delicious cheesy cauliflower soup recipe. She made it for Sunday dinner a couple months ago, and the whole family agreed that it has a really wonderful flavor.
In fact, I find that I really crave this cauliflower soup recipe and have been making it every couple weeks since I had it for the first time! I’m sure to swipe all of my mom’s best recipes and I hope that my little girl enjoys my food to be a recipe-thief someday, herself. Passing on family favorite recipes is such a wonderful way to carry on the legacy of your loved ones!
There are so many different variations on cauliflower soup out there. The first time I had a cauliflower soup, there weren’t any actual pieces of cauliflower in the bowl.
I really like this soup because it’s creamy, but also has some texture thanks to the whole chunks of cauliflower in the recipe.
My dad enjoyed this cauliflower soup so much that he said it tastes like something you’d order in a fancy restaurant. I totally know what he means! This soup has a real richness while not being heavy or overly decadent. It’s a recipe that I’m really proud to serve my family and friends and a recipe that people always ask me to share with them after they’ve tried it.
You really must give this wonderful soup recipe a whirl. Be sure to pin it now so you don’t lose it!
Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
This creamy and flavorful soup tastes like it was made in a fancy restaurant. You’re going to adore it!
- 2 heads cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green onions, white part only
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 quart vegetable broth, 32 ounces
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- ⅔ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Garnish with green onion, optional
- In a large soup pot heat the olive oil and sauté the onion and the garlic for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the carrots and the celery and sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cauliflower. Add the vegetable broth, 2 cups water, salt, and the pepper, stir together. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the 3 tablespoons of butter, stir in the flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Continue to cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Stir the flour mixture into the simmering cauliflower soup and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes or until desired tenderness. Stir in the cheese.