Cucumber Tomato Salad
When I think summertime, I think about cucumbers and tomatoes. It’s really no wonder that this tangy and sweet cucumber tomato salad is one of my favorite recipes!
Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
When I was growing, up my mom used to make cucumber salad so often during the summer that we would have two or three times a week. It was a great way to use up all of those cucumbers from our garden and it taught me to love cucumbers from a young age.
My mom’s recipe was very similar to this one but without the tomatoes. I find that the addition of juicy cherry tomatoes adds something special to this simple cucumber salad recipe.
There’s nothing like crunching into a bite and having that little explosion of fresh tomato-goodness in your mouth.?
The tomatoes also add some nice color to this dish. I love making this yummy cucumber tomato salad as a side when we’re having friends and family over during the summer, but it’s also a fantastic side dish or even lunch on those lazy summer Sundays.
I’m completely in favor of getting plenty of rest and enjoying some great food on the Lord’s day. I often make this cucumber tomato salad recipe on Saturday night and enjoy it as a lunch after church or as a side dish to pair with something I’ve grilled or made in the crock pot for Sunday dinner.
Or, both. Hey, I love this stuff!
This cucumber is crunchy, tangy, a bit sweet and totally delicious.
I mentioned that my mom made cucumber salad a lot, right?
Well, she loved cucumbers (and still does), and when I was a kid we would often just slice up a bowl of cucumbers, add a little salt and eat them like potato chips.
I can’t quite convince my kids to devour cucumbers like this, unfortunately!
We really love the thinly sliced onions in this cucumber tomato salad recipe as well, but if you’re one of those folks who just doesn’t like to eat raw onions you can certainly leave them out. The stars of this easy summer salad are definitely the cucumber and tomato!
When you think back on your childhood, which foods come to mind most vividly?
More Easy Potluck Dishes
- Sweet Coleslaw Recipe
- Classic Potato Salad Recipe
- Grape Salad Recipe
- Loaded Potato Salad
- Spaghetti Salad
- 3 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- ½ cup onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup half and half
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place the sliced cucumbers in a medium bowl, stir in the salt and pepper and allow them to sit for 30 minutes. Using a colander, drain any excess liquid and return to bowl.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, parsley and the half and half. Stir until well mixed then stir in the onions and tomatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.