Melt-in-Your-Mouth Pumpkin Cookies Recipe
As much as I adore summer, by the time September rolls around I start craving pumpkin! If you’re ready to get your pumpkin fix or you’re just pinning great fall pumpkin recipes, you definitely don’t want to miss this melt-in-your-mouth pumpkin cookies recipe!
My dad really loves soft pumpkin cookies and he usually makes oodles of them from store-bought pumpkin cookie mixes, so when I saw this recipe for pumpkin cookies in an old holiday issue of Better Homes and Gardens, I know I wanted to give it a whirl.
Melt-in-Your-Mouth Pumpkin Cookies
These cookies really lived up to their name. The pumpkin flavor in these cookies is sweet and delicious, and yes, these pumpkin cookies are so soft that they really do sort of melt in your mouth.
One really just isn’t enough!
What could be better than a yummy pumpkin cookie, you ask? Well, a yummy FROSTED pumpkin cookie, of course!
You really don’t have to use the frosting because the cookies are great on their own, but, the frosting just sends these cookies over the top.
I will say that the recipe for the frosting in the magazine did not end up matching the photos featured in the article. I think the recipe was probably printed wrong because I ended up having to add MUCH more powdered sugar to the frosting to produce a more firm, spreadable icing.
That’s no big deal, I adjusted the recipe below and you’ll just want to keep adding powdered sugar until the frosting is to your desired thickness.
Sprinkle the tops of these luscious melt-in-your-mouth pumpkin cookies and you have a really beautiful holiday cookie that everyone in your family will absolutely adore.
Melt-In-Your-Mouth Pumpkin Cookies Recipe
These divine melt-in-your-mouth pumpkin cookies are one of my most popular recipes—for good reason! They are truly outstanding!
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar (add until desired consistency/firmness)
- ground cinnamon sprinkled on top (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl beat the 2 cups of butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder,baking soda,salt,the 1 teaspoon cinnamon,and the nutmeg. Beat until combined. Beat in the eggs and 2 teaspoons of vanilla until combined. Beat in pumpkin. Beat in as much of the four as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoons 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until tops are set. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan heat the 1/2 cup butter and brown sugar until melted and smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in milk and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth. Spread frosting on cookies. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon if desired.