I have something pretty special in common with my 5-year-old daughter, Kara. We both LOVE mashed potatoes and could eat them for every meal! Also, we both agree that this is the best mashed potatoes recipe ever!
Best Mashed Potatoes Recipe
When I was growing up, my mom made the best mashed potatoes. They were always the perfect consistency and they always tasted so rich and creamy.
Honestly, I think the real trick to making incredible mashed potatoes is to keep it very simple. In my opinion, this is the perfect mashed potatoes recipe, and I make it over and over throughout the year.
Of course, a big, creamy bowl of these fantastic mashed potatoes can always be found on our Thanksgiving table. I always know to give my little girl an extra helping. She REALLY loves mashed potatoes!
I hope you love my mom’s recipe as much as I do. If you try it, you’ll soon be calling it the best mashed potatoes recipe, too!
More Delicious Side Dishes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Cinnamon Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato
- Green Bean Casserole
Best Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs. Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- ½ to 1 cup half and half, warmed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add potatoes to a large pot of salted water. Over high heat bring to a boil then turn down the heat to gently boil. Cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender but not falling apart. Drain and return to the pan and allow them to sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Heat the half and half in the microwave at 30-second intervals until it’s very warm.
- Using an electric mixer (I love this one), on low speed, beat in the butter and the salt just until combined. Slowly add the half and half while beating on low speed until creamy and smooth.
- Add extra salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chives.
8 Comments on “Best Mashed Potatoes”
That’s how my mom made them. I never use half and half only at Christmas lol so I know they are delicious!! Thanks for bring back memories!!
Can I make the night before?
i would like to try it but what is half and half please as noted in your recipe.
My Mom made this and called it champ!
Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite foods. These look delicious.
I really like all of your recipes… This one is definitely one of my favorites… :)
Mom used to call this dish Champ. We are from Northern Ireland.
My mouth is watering! Can’t wait to make these!